|Garbanzo Bean and Roasted Tomato Soup – Seriously Soupy|
I recently had the pleasure to share this garbanzo bean and roasted tomato soup with the readers of Food 2. One of my favorites, hummus soup, was the inspiration for this hearty and delicious winter soup. Using roasted tomatoes, fresh herbs (dill, rosemary, basil, cumin and tumeric) as well as tahini, this soup is great with some pita and lemon juice for a healthy mini-meal.
Garbanzo Bean and Roasted Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
3-5 cups of water – may need to add more as you go
1 12.5-ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained
3-4 tablespoons of sesame tahini
1 clove of garlic, minced and divided
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2-3 heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
Drizzle of olive oil, enough to coat the tomatoes
2 bay leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
*Bunch of fresh dill, chopped (about a handful)
*Bunch of fresh rosemary, chopped (about a handful)
*Bunch of fresh basil, chopped (about a handful)
Pinch of curry powder
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of turmeric
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
* Can also use dried herbs: about 1 teaspoon dried for each tablespoon of fresh
Serving suggestion: Side of Pita Bread
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Add the water to a medium-sized soup pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Add onions and half of the garlic to the pot and reduce to a simmer.
2. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining garlic. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Add garbanzo beans to the soup pot, along with the tahini, bay leaves, rosemary, basil, dill, cumin and turmeric, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. Cover and let cook for 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes to the pot and let simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove from heat and, using an immersion or standard blender, blend until smooth. Taste, adding more salt and/or pepper if needed, and serve.
Posted: Friday, January 21st, 2011 @ 12:21 pm
Categories: Food 2, Garbanzo Bean and Roasted Tomato Soup, garbanzo bean soup, homemade soups, Hummus Soup, recipes, roasted tomato soup, soups, tomato soup, vegetarian and vegan soups, winter soups.
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.