Guest Post by Brittany of AlexiaFoods
There’s nothing better than comfort food in the bitter fall and winter months, but the seasonality of certain produce can sometimes limit how creative you can get in the kitchen. However, there are a few classic recipes that you can’t go wrong with. Fresh, homemade butternut squash soup is the perfect dish for chilly winter months, and it’s as delicious as it is effortless. It’s also great for entertaining large groups of people. Below is a simple recipe for a savory butternut squash soup. You can get creative and alter the recipe according to personal taste, like cooking it with apples to create a sweeter puree or adding red peppers to give it a little kick. Whether your serving is as an appetizer or you just feel like treating yourself, this soup will get you through the cold weather season.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2.5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1″ chunks
- 5 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat.
- Add the smashed garlic and chopped onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes. The onions should be translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, broth, orange juice, zest, and thyme. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the squash is tender. This may take up to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Working in batches, purée soup in a food processor or blender.
- Transfer the purée to a clean pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set over medium heat until hot. Serve with crème fraîche and fresh thyme for garnish.
Author Bio: Brittany writes about easy gourmet recipes and entertaining on behalf of Alexia. To explore baked appetizers great for serving at your next get-together, visit www.alexiafoods.com.
Posted: Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 @ 11:13 pm
Categories: homemade soups, recipes, soup, soup articles, soup recipes, soups, vegetarian and vegan soups, winter soups.
Tags: Simple Butternut Squash Soup, Simple Butternut Squash Soup recipe. soups, soup, soup recipe.
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.