|Oyster Stew by Deja Vu Cook|
Guest Blogger: Kathleen of Deja Vu Cook
When it is time for fish and shellfish stew and chowder I think of many places in New England and all the fabulous meals shared. I grew up in Connecticut with all the relatives in Boston and many summers on Cape Cod, so those recipes share a special place in my heart and home. “Oyster Stew” is always on the menu during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years holidays for me. This tradition started for me in Goshen, Connecticut in the mid-70s. A couple friends of mine bought a 200-year-old salt-box in the Town of Goshen, Connecticut and I spent many happy holiday times with them through the years. Oyster Stew was part of their tradition and immediately was adopted by me. Oh, that was easy, I love oysters! But it is also one of the first soups I make when the weather changes here in Florida. Today is the third day I have my windows open so all the soup recipes are coming out of the cupboards.
16 0z. shucked oysters and their liquid
1/2 C. onion (diced)
1/2 C. celery (peeled and diced)
6 T. unsalted butter
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 C – 2 C. heavy cream
Freshly ground pepper (season to taste)
1-2 oz. dry sherry (optional)
Chopped parsley for garnish
- Pick through the oysters carefully removing any bits of shell
- Place in a sauce pan with their liquid and 2 C. of water and heat til the oysters begin to curl
- Remove and set aside, strain the liquid and set aside
- Simmer the onion and celery in butter in a soup pot until tender (approx. 6 minutes)
- Add the oyster liquid and heavy cream and heat “almost” to the boiling point, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in the Worcestershire
- Add the oysters and season to taste with pepper
- Pour into warmed bowls and add (1 t. sherry to each bowl-Optional)
- Garnish with chopped parsley
(Compliments of John Totino, Architect)
Adapted from the book “Jasper White’s Cooking from New England” by Jasper White
To read more recipes by Kathleen, be sure to check out her blog, “Deja Vu” Cook.
Do you have a soup that you would like to contribute to Seriously Soupy? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!
Posted: Monday, October 11th, 2010 @ 11:39 am
Categories: Deja Vu Cook, fish soup, fish soups, homemade soup, New England Soups, Oyster Stew, recipes, soup, soups, stews.
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.